Monday, May 19, 2008

A Refreshing Retreat

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Siem Reap, Cambodia at EMM's Asia Retreat. After traveling north about six hours by bus, we arrived in Cambodia's biggest tourist city. What brings tourists there? Well, primarily the Temples of Angkor, which include quite a number of magnificent ancient temples. Though I'm sure the Egyptian pyramids are neat to see, these temples are much more fascinating in my opinion. They are both very massive and incredibly ornate.


But we didn't go to "play tourist,"we went to Siem Reap to connect with other EMM workers serving in Asia. It was a really neat time of making new friends and touching base with those we already new. All in all, we left the retreat feeling very refreshed with an increased passion for service and a renewed vision for ministry.


The theme of the retreat was being prophetic kingdom builders. In one session we talked about how in being prophetic kingdom builders, we are called to be involved in Proclaiming the Kingdom, Providing for the needs of others, and Partnering with others. In another session, we talked about how the kingdom of God is Alternative to the kingdom of this world, Attractive in that it meets real needs, and Articulate in that we are called to verbalize why our way of life is so alternative and attractive.


Besides having the opportunity to interact with other missionaries, probably the biggest highlight of the retreat was the times of passionate and reflective worship. I recognized during the retreat that during our first weeks in Cambodia, I had not been making worship a high priority. I had been more aware of how big all the details of our transition were rather than focusing my attention on how wonderfully big our God is. The result of this neglect in worshiping had resulted in me thinking of myself primarily as a worker for Christ, rather than a co-worker with Christ. It was so refreshing to be reminded that Christ, by His Spirit, wants to lead me, inspire me, motivate me, equip me, speak to me, sustain me, etc. I am not left to myself. I am in Christ and Christ is in me!

Ryan

P.S. Enjoy the pictures below...
Darrell Caldwell sharing with the group about their 12 year missionary experience in Cambodia. At the present, he and his wife Susan do not have specific plans to return to Cambodia, but they would be surprised if they didn't come back some day.

Susan Caldwell also sharing with the group. She and Darrell are returning to the states to spend time with their Children. Luke is getting married this fall, Rachel just finished her fourth year at college, Caleb will be starting college, and Joshua will be going to school in the States.

Our Philipino friends that are praying/planning to join us in working with EMM in Cambodia. They are Rene and Hesper, Annie Fe and Rudy. They have strong business background and plan to be working in the northern part of the country.



Juliana and I looking at some butterflies in "Butterfly Gardens," a Siem Reap restaurant that is enclosed with netting, letting customers enjoy the beauty of many local butterflies as they eat a delicious meal.





Kai "hanging out"on the floor during one of the retreat sessions.





No comments: